Call to Democratic Party Caucus
Virginia 56th House of Delegate District
Call. Pursuant to the Democratic Party Plan of Virginia ("the Party Plan"), the 56th House of Delegate District Democratic Nominating Committee ("the Committee") hereby calls an Unassembled Caucus for the sole purpose of choosing a Democratic nominee for the 56th House of Delegate District ("the 56 th District").
Caucus Rules, Forms, and Information. Caucus Rules will be posted, along with other pertinent forms and information about the nominating process, on the website Facebook page, or local media for each of the committees of the 56th District
General Participation Requirements. Each participant in the Caucus must be a qualified voter in the 56th District at the time of their participation. No participant in the Caucus may intend to support any candidate who is opposed to the Democratic nominee in that General Election.
Voting Opportunities. Participants in the Caucus may vote only in person and at the designated time and location. The Caucus will be held from 6:30 pm. to 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 5, 2015 at the Louisa Library, 881 Davis Hwy., Mineral VA 23117.
Candidate Requirements. Each candidate seeking the 2015 Democratic Party nomination shall file a 56th District Declaration of Candidacy form with a filing fee of $500. In addition candidates shall include a copy of their Virginia Certificate of Candidate Qualification – General Assembly form. The filing fee shall be made payable to the Henrico Democratic Committee. Only those candidates properly pre-filed may have their names placed on the ballot. Each candidate for nomination must meet all applicable requirements of state law, the Party Plan, and the Caucus Rules. Each form must bear the original signature of the candidate. For questions about the Caucus, to request any accommodation necessary to ensure full participation, or to file a Declaration of Candidacy, please contact JoAnna Hickman, Chair of the 56th Senate Nominating Committee, any time at email@example.com. Candidates wishing to file must mail their Declaration of Candidacy to the Louisa Democratic Committee, P.O. Box 34, Mineral, VA 23117 in sufficient time to meet the deadline of 5:00 p.m. on June 3, 2015. (Postmark does not apply.) Rules for an Unassembled Caucus
- All times shall be read from the official clock, to be determined by the 56th House of Delegate District Democratic Nominating Committee Chair.
- The doors of the caucus room will open and the certification process will begin at 6:30 pm on Friday, June 5, 2015. Upon completion of voting, participants may leave the Caucus.
- The doors to the caucus meeting room will be closed promptly at 7:30 p.m. Persons standing in line to complete a Caucus Participation Form at the time the doors close will be allowed to complete their forms and participate in the caucus.
- Every person who participates in the caucus must complete a Caucus Participation Form and sign a statement that says they are a registered voter of the District, believes in the principles of the Democratic Party, and that he or she does not intend to support a candidate opposed to the Democratic nominee in the next ensuing election. There is no fee for caucus voters.
- The chair of the Nominating Committee shall act as the chair of the caucus.
- The caucus shall be conducted in accordance with the Virginia Democratic Party Plan and the Call to Caucus.
- The chair shall appoint a secretary and tellers committee.
- Only those candidates properly filed as a candidate for the Virginia Senate on or before the deadline will be recognized as such and included on the ballot.
- Ballots will be prepared listing the first name, middle initial, and last name of each candidate properly filed in alphabetical order. It is prohibited to give any preferential treatment to any candidate and none will be listed as the "official candidate."
- Caucus participants may vote for individual candidates by placing an "X" beside the appropriate name.
- The tellers committee shall count the ballots.
- There shall be no campaigning inside the caucus room or check in area.
- There will be no Press or Observers permitted in the room in which balloting takes place.
- Tie votes will be decided by the flip of a coin.
Adopted:__May 23, 2015___________(date)
Authorized and paid for by the 56th Senate District Democratic Nominating Committee